Friday, April 29, 2011

royal wedding party

A great friend of mine threw an small Royal Wedding party and I got WAY into it. We watched it live, yes at 3 in the morning. We got all jeweled up and had a beautiful breakfast.
It is something that I will probably never do again in my life so I went way out with the little bit of decor I could. Definitely a morning to remember! :)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

disney shirts

My good friend Rebbecca was taking her family to Disneyland for a week since her husband was coming home from Afghanistan, so I just had to make her two little girls some shirt for the occasion. I really LOVE how they turned out. I didn't have a Disney cricut cartridge, so I just used circles to make the Mickey silhouette and then sewed a ribbon bow on to make them look like Minnie.

Making these shirts reminded me of our fun Disney world trip we took and the fun shirts I made for the trip. It all started with the "big brother" "little brother" shirts since we get twin comments daily because our boys look so alike and are the same size.

Those lead to the Mickey tie-dye shirts that I loved. It was easy, cheap, and fun. I just penciled a Mickey silhouette on the front and back. Then I gathered those circles and tied them tight with rubber bands. Then I dyed them in black die (I didn't leave them in long enough!). Then let them dry, took the rubber bands off, washed them and then used freezer paper with my cricut to do the lettering.

And those lead to the fact that their uncle would be having a birthday while we were there, and I just had to make him a cheesy shirt to wear! :) I am most proud of this one. It was a little tricky to make my boy's faces, but well worth the effort. I did it my taping a piece of paper to my computer and tracing the shadows of a picture of them that was on the screen. I them razor cut them out on freezer paper and ironed that on the shirt and painted over it. I was very impressed with myself! :)

Sunday, April 24, 2011

easter in full bloom

I, sadly, didn't get to play around with Easter crafts as I would have loved this year due to my back going out. Thankfully I am usually ahead of the game as far as holidays go so that when it snuck up on me there wasn't too much I had to finish up. So here they are. This year's goodies....
These were Styrofoam eggs that I pinned circles on to. I was inspired my these. If doing this you need to start at the narrower end of the egg or else it will look like a pine cone when you are done.....yes, I learned that one the hard way! :)

These fabric covered eggs are so easy, fast, and messy! :) I just cut strips from some of my fabric scraps and mod-podged them on plastic eggs. I was inspired by these here.

These eggs just kind of came together. I got this great rabbit from my mom and I needed something to go with it. I had thought out newspaper and then I say these eggs here. That lead to twine, which lead to music covered eggs as well. I love vintage music paper right now, so I am sure I will find ways to use it again soon. There were just plastic eggs are well that I covered. I love how they turned out. They don't really match any of my other Easter decor, so they have a great home in my upstairs hall.

I had to make and "insect" egg frame as well. It was too simple not to. I cut the glitter egg in half to make it look cracked. It turned our great. I saw these yarn-covered carrots here and had to do them. They took a while to wined, but they were so cute that they were worth it.

Here is one of the Easter banners I made this year. I still can't decide which one I like best, but this one turned out cute.

And lastly, this egg garland that was made from paint-chip cards (that are free I might add!) is SOOOO cute. I stole the idea from here. They look so cute and fun in my kid's playroom. I made one for each of the window that mirror each other in there.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

kid-friendly egg dying

Using muffin trays for dying eggs was the best tip I got this year. It was great for my boys. No worrying about tipping over glasses this year!

Friday, April 1, 2011

dressed to impress {in less an hour}

Saturday night was a nice quiet night. We got our kids to bed and took some time to do the things we love to do....which means I didn't work on the piles of unfinished projects I have...I started a new one! :)
I have been intrigued by the "pillow case dress" but have never made one or knew how. So, I decided I was going to figure it out.
I got a dress the size my daughter is in. Got a piece of material,doubled it the width of the bottom of the dress and sewed in into a "tube". I put some ribbons in the top seam where I thought they would need to be and sewed them up. I then sewed another seam about an inch and a half below the top seam for the elastic.
I then snipped a little hole in the inside and inserted it. After pulling it through and seeing the finished product, I decided it needed a little more, so I finally tried out this cute new felt flower I just saw on a blog.
I am so happy with how it turned out. It was so fast (less than an hour, flowers included) and the results were terrific!

I think I might attempt my first tutorial with this soon. I had a few friends at church express their desire to make one....just don't hold your breath for it! :)