Thursday, October 20, 2011

potion labels tutorial {free printables}


If you're like me, you've seen a lot of black and white as well as vintage Halloween decor around. I have been loving it and had to have at least part of my house done up that way.
I have seen some great potion bottles with labels out there. But I am a cheap-skate and didn't want to pay for them, especially if they weren't the perfect size for the bottle I have been saving as I've been using things. So here's a few steps to help you get the look with a black and white print from your home computer on just plain old copy paper.

You'll need:
4 bottles (I used a spice bottle, nutella spread, jelly jar, and a Disney vitamin bottle)
Printable (snag it from below)
Coffee or Tea (I used herbal tea water)
Modpodge
Black Spray Paint

Clean your bottles. I put them in the dishwasher. If there is still some residue left use Goof-Off." A little goes a long way.

Cut out your printables and crumple them up, then open them back up.


Make your coffee or tea (if using tea, you don't have to make a whole cup, the less water the stronger the tint). Making it in a dish helps make it easier.

Uncrumple the labels and quickly place them in the tea face down. Dip and remove quickly...seriously.

Take them out and place them on a cooling rack. Let them sit there until the ink has bled to your taste.


To help them dry faster and keep their crumpled look, hold label in your hand and blow dry it with a blow dryer. Dry both sides.

Modpodge label on your bottle. I painted a layer over the top to act as a sealer.

Spray paint your lids.

...and display!

Just click and snag.

If you want to try to create your own...click here for the great clip art I used. And here's the labels that inspired mine.
Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment